Pakistan’s first ever Guinness World Record related to robotics set by STEMERS that created a low-cost panda bot, a fully integrated STEM education platform.
Here’s the exclusive interview how STEMERS broke the world record of the longest line follower robot track with its robot.
1- Briefly share your academic background with us?
An Engineer and a STEM education specialist. I did my bachelors from NUST and Masters in Computer Science from IBA.
2- How you portray the well-liked ‘STEMERS’ initiative?
In the 21st century, scientific and technological innovations have become increasingly important. To succeed in this new information-based and highly technological society, students at an early age need to develop their capabilities in STEM to levels much beyond what was considered acceptable in the past.
In order to spread STEM teaching in Pakistan, STEMERS has developed a low cost “Panda Bot – indigenously made in Pakistan”, an educational robotic kit to inculcate Science and Technology understanding in our young generation.
3- How STEMERS set the Guinness World Record 2019?
We always wanted to prove the capabilities of locally manufactured items, especially when it relates to robotics. For this purpose, we came across Guinness World Record platform and applied for it.
It took us 14 months to prepare for this record and eventually we were able to set the Longest Line Follower Robot Track record with PandaBot
4- Demonstrates the ‘Panda Bot’ technicalities that broke the world’s longest line following robot?
PandaBot is an Arduino based educational robot, meant to introduce our kids to the world of coding and technology. It’s a mobile robotic kit that enables students to make a line follower, maze solving and other exciting robots.
5- Demonstrate your vision for the Pakistan’s first ever Guinness World Record related to robotics.
There have been records related physical and mental abilities of Pakistanis. We wanted to show the world about our abilities in Technological world, in which by grace of Allah we have been successful enough and in near future we will be bringing more good news.
6- How Panda Bot promotes STEM education in Pakistan?
PandaBot is a STEM education robot for our young generation, that makes teaching and learning robot programming simple and fun. they learn about a variety of robotic machinery and electronic parts, get to grips with the fundamentals of block-based programming, and develop their logical thinking and design skills
7- How you see STEMERS ROBOTICS in the future?
STEMERS envisions for tech savvy and self-reliant youth while inculcating ingenuity and problem solving skills in them.
Pakistan is rated among the cheapest labor available globally with a population who can speak English. India is in that list too. Businesses in US, UK, Australia and Canada outsource fresh graduates for call centre jobs and look for experienced professionals who are willing to set up a small business.
Ways to earn money online
I have been in this industry for the last 5+ years. I had my highs and lows, dealt with scammers, went through some minor losses and sometimes I had amazing experiences working online. I am sharing a list of ways that can be useful if you want to earn money online from home. I have tried most of these ways or have seen my buddies making profits out of them. For Pakistani students, these can prove to be very beneficial if they want to make part-time or full-time careers out of them along with their studies. I have sequenced them from basic level to professional level online jobs.
1. Blogging: First things first! What you are most passionate about? Never start a blog in which you might lose interest later. You need excellent English communication skills to start your own blog. It can be a news related blog, or a product/service review or celebrity blog. Post jobs, funny images/videos, write about latest trends or technology updates.The pitch point is that you are blogging about good ideas.
2. Earn through Data Entry: Data entry is considered to be among the biggest skills you can have to earn money online. It is also listed as the top most jobs available online in terms of projects volume. It’s all about typing and you may need some basic level English and computer skills to get the job done. Data entry jobs take a lot of your time. Some reliable sources can be Freelancer, Elance and Upwork (formerly Odesk).
3. Become a part of Market Research groups: Market research is like the bread and butter of an advertising agency in Pakistan. Contact some local or large companies or research agencies and become a part of the focused groups. You have no idea how much they value your opinions.
4. Fill out some survey forms: Similar to focused groups, survey research is another medium of earning money online by providing your opinions. Those surveys can be related to products/services or academic research forms.
5. Refer products/services and get paid: Earn money online via participating in referrals. Good income can be earned along with bonuses if you have a strong network of people and know someone who might fit the job perfectly.
6. Ever thought of selling photos: You don’t need to be the famous Tapu Javeri to do the job. Sometimes the most usual or unusual things miss a photo like coffee cups, road signs, etc. You can submit these images at various sites like Shutterstock or iStockPhoto.
7. Become a reviewer: Often we eat at a restaurant and say ‘Oh my, this was the most tasteless thing I ate’ or when using a smartphone you say stuff like ‘I love how the camera works’. There are a number of websites who actually pay you to review products. Some people may hire you to review their own products/services on several review sites. The most popular websites includes Amazon and eBay.
8. Become a travel agent: No, you won’t have to sit in an office to do that. You can reserve and sell tickets to customers from your home. I used to work for a travel & tours company who hire sales people and let them work from home. After all, you just have to sell the tickets online.
9. Arts and crafts: Love making jewellery from stones or crochet? Are you a crafty person? Or have some interest in making paintings? Either way, you can make stuff at home and sell them online via OLX, Facebook or the new boss in town Instagram.
10. Telemarketing: Are you good in sales and can communicate with people in US, Ireland or UK in their native language? Telemarketing can be the right job for you then. Reach out to companies looking for a resource like you and sell their products and services, be it a call or an online chat. Meet your monthly targets and earn the sales commission with basic pay. Earn up to PKR 50,000 to 1 lac a month. TRG Pakistan would be the perfect example to state here (one of the leading BPO companies in Pakistan for offshore outsourcing).
Most of them can be found on freelancing sites like Freelancer, Elance, Odesk (aka Upwork). Pakistani job platforms also enlist most of these sources of income. OLX Pakistan also has a vast listing of online/internet jobs but not all of them are from reliable companies or people.
Banks in Pakistan have started temporarily blocking accounts of those customers who have not availed biometric verification until now. While some people find it really difficult to spare some time to visit their respective bank’s branch, banks have started offering convenient ways to verify bio-metrics.
Just a couple of weeks ago, we reported that Standard Chartered bank account holders can now verify their biometrics by simply using the ‘SC PK biometric’ app. As of now, another leading bank from finance sector of Pakistan, Bank Alfalah has also launched a mobile application for biometric verification of its customers.
The app called “BAFL Bio Verisys” offers biometric verification for its account holders via Pakistan’s National Database & Registration Authority (NADRA). the app requires users to simply fill the blanks with information such as your CNIC number and phone number. Afterward, you need to place your index finger (or the finger you choose from options) in front of the rear camera of phone (as shown in the screenshots below) in order to authenticate your biometrics. To avoid any inconvenience, try to capture a clear image of the finger tip at the black background and try with different fingers as well.
Biometric verification has become a regulatory requirement of State Bank of Pakistan for bank accounts older than 2016 when no biometric database was available. If you opened your bank account after 2016 and you have done verification while opening the account then you don’t need to do it again.
Users can download it from Google Play on any Android phone and complete the required process of verification. Unfortunately, the application is currently available on Play Store only. As soon as it is available on iOS we will let you know.
Punjab Safe Cities Authority (PSCA) in collaboration with the City Traffic Police (CTP) has launched the E-Challan system in Lahore, under the directives of the Lahore High Court (LHC). E-Challan is an Electronic Traffic Violation Ticket system which has received a welcoming response by many citizens of the city.
The new system identifies the violators of the traffic rules with the help of modern Automatic Vehicle Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras, which PSCA installed across different roads of the city.
The E-Challan is sent to the violators’ addresses registered against their vehicle IDs, containing the information regarding how the driver violated the traffic rules with the vehicles picture posted on the challan paper.
But the major problem which people are facing is that many of the violators remain unaware of the fact that they have been charged with a fine. Because either they had shifted from their previous residence registered against their vehicle IDs and haven’t officially changed it in the documents, or they do not receive the E-Challan at their residence due to some technical issues. So, in case if you are not sure that you have violated any rule or having an OCD, we have shared instructions regarding how you can check and pay your E-Challan.
How to check E-Challan online:
· Visit the PSCA website to check your traffic violation status online.
· After opening the PSCA website, two blocks will appear in front of you, one for your vehicle number and the other for your CNIC.
· By placing the details about your vehicle registration and CNIC number you can either you have been charged with a fine or not. You can also print the E-Challan document.
How to pay your E-Challan:
There are two ways through which you can pay your E-Challans.
· The first one is to pay your challan manually, by downloading and printing the E-Challan document from the PSCA website and submitting in the National Bank of Punjab (NBP) with the required amount.
· The second method is to pay your challan by the NBP’s ATM machines.
The PSCA is also working to develop a mobile app, to check and pay your E-challans without leaving from your house.
The Electronic Ticketing Center (ETC) of Punjab Safe Cities Authority (PSCA) has issued over 75,000 e-challans since the launch of Electronic Challan on September 23. These 75,000 E-Challans have resulted in the addition of PKR 7 million to the national treasury so far.
Futurewei Technologies Inc. is Huawei’s US-based research arm that has filed at least 2100 patents in different areas including telecommunications, 5G cellular networks, and camera technologies. The firm has employees in different regions of U.S. such as in Silicon Valley and the greater Seattle, Chicago, and Dallas areas.
Until now, nothing that Futurewei did was considered separate from Huawei. The research was carried out in collaboration with different universities but since US commerce department added Huawei to its blacklist and has banned it from working with US-based companies, Futurewei has moved to separate its operations from Huawei.
Huawei employees have been banned from their offices in the Futurewei departments, Futurewei employees have been instructed not to use Huawei’s logo and name in any of their operations and IT systems as told by an anonymous Futurewei employee to Reuters. However, despite the separate operations, Futurewei will still be owned by Huawei.
Futurewei’s general counsel, Milton Frazier has refused to talk about the matter nor did Huawei’s spokesman Chase Skinner. Where the strategy behind this situation is kept a secret, we believe all this is happening under Huawei’s orders so that the research arm does not face a blow from Trump’s government.
This division of operations came as a result of U.S. universities backing off from their collaboration with Futurewei and other Chinese owned firms.